Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

UOA kicks out foreign student for being raped.

Chinese Student at Aucland uni got raped , tries to take her own life, gets kicked out of UOA and now served with a deportation notice.

Just disgraceful, how can you send her home after all the trauma she's received in this country and then not being compassionate enough to give her even more support to help her finish her degree.

Just absolutely boggles the mind.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118...tempts-suicide

2. Post
    They kind of contradict themselves by kicking her out for their failure to provide pastoral care.

Shit's ****ed. Especially for UoA, who have been reaping the benefits of foreign students for so long.

3. Post
    Raped, emotional state changed so kicked out of Uni, then deported - i don't think that she'll have a particularly favourable view of NZ, so might be happy to just go. UoA should be ashamed of themselves.

4. Post
    hopefully this will hit the Chinese media sites and then we will definitely see a response from UoA as it would seem that the only way to talk to them is thru the wallet like any other corporate.

5. Post
    Article says she was admitted to a mental health unit first, then alleged she was raped at the mental health unit. Then tried to commit suicide. So she wasn't raped at UoA. I'd say there is much more to this story than is being made public.

6. Post
    Whilst I'm not excusing UoAs behavior as that's abhorrent, that title and time line are misleading (due to misreading or deliberately inflammatory interpretation), the article says she was admitted to a mental health facility and Then raped (allegedly) she wasn't in there because she was raped nor was she kicked out for being raped

-e- beaten

7. Post
    She's been posting about this in the overhead UoA facebook page since December. There was a lot of personal information and document shared before taken down.

8. Post
    Regardless of the timeline details, it's very bad publicity for UoA, and seems like a shitty way of supporting a paying student that is having a tough time.

9. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Regardless of the timeline details, it's very bad publicity for UoA, and seems like a shitty way of supporting a paying student that is having a tough time.
    Really? Reading it properly my impression is she had significant enough issues to be checked in to a mental health unit, and more than likely tried to make more problems including the rape accusation. The cops probably got involved, found no case.

Read this bit carefully:
    "We have received advice ... that it is not possible to ensure a safe environment or provide adequate support for your well-being in New Zealand.
    So it sounds like a mental health professional has said "she's nuts".

But the misandrist press turns this into a "rape culture at university" issue.

10. Post
    An older friend of her host family took nudes of her and blackmailed her with them, she dropped a charge with police once he agreed to delete them, this harrassment caused her mental health to decline and she was diagnosed with BPD

Then the mental health unit, rape, and attempted suicide happened

Also police are still investigating the rape.

11. Post
    That's horrible

12. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    An older friend of her host family took nudes of her and blackmailed her with them, she dropped a charge with police once he agreed to delete them, this harrassment caused her mental health to decline and she was diagnosed with BPD

Apparently she might have also posted on r/newzealand asking for help a couple of months ago someone linked the thread on r/auckland. Some of the replies to the thread were disgusting.

13. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Really? Reading it properly my impression is she had significant enough issues to be checked in to a mental health unit, and more than likely tried to make more problems including the rape accusation. The cops probably got involved, found no case.

Read this bit carefully:

So it sounds like a mental health professional has said "she's nuts".

But the misandrist press turns this into a "rape culture at university" issue.
    well, it generates more clicks. Which is what the sites want

14. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    this harrassment caused her mental health to decline and she was diagnosed with BPD.
    BPD would've surely always been there, no?

15. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:

That's nasty. It sounds a bit odd for them to kick her out of the country if the rape investigation is still going?

16. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Article says she was admitted to a mental health unit first, then alleged she was raped at the mental health unit. Then tried to commit suicide. So she wasn't raped at UoA. I'd say there is much more to this story than is being made public.
    This. UoA should not have kicked her out due to the suicide, but the original action that put her into the MHU could be a reason, which we're not being told.

17. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    That's nasty. It sounds a bit odd for them to kick her out of the country if the rape investigation is still going?
    They're kicking her out of the country because her visa isn't valid once the university kicks her out.

What is unacceptable is the university taking action before the police have finished their investigation, but unfortunately, universities do this all the time. I know a guy who was accused of assaulting a staff member at a university, found not guilty in court, but the university had already kicked him out and refused to reverse it, so he is currently filing to take it to the High Court under Judicial Review laws.

The university process, which seems to be consistent across all NZ universities, is:

1. Someone files a complaint
    2. A staff member decides the seriousness of the complaint, refers it to the relevant senior member of the university
    3. If its a minor case, the senior member allows the student a limited amount of time to present their defence, but does not allow them to view any evidence or cross-examine any witnesses
    4. The senior member makes their decision of guilty/not guilty and decides on the punishment
    5. If its a "serious" case, the senior member (usually an assistant vice chancellor) appoints an investigator to assess the incident. This investigator is still on the university payroll, simply another staff member at the university, so has inherent bias towards protecting the universities interests.
    6. The senior member takes the investigators report and makes a decision based on it and assigns a punishment.

At no point in the process does it say "notify the police" or "wait until the police make a decision" or "wait until the courts make a decision" or even "consider what the courts already decided". Essentially the universities don't have to give a shit what the police and courts say, they'll make their own decision, and don't even have a burden of proof threshold to meet. Its simply "that the senior member believes it to be true".

18. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Apparently she might have also posted on r/newzealand asking for help a couple of months ago someone linked the thread on r/auckland. Some of the replies to the thread were disgusting.
    r/newzealand is disgusting in general.

19. Post
    In my experience at UoA, students are just walking dollar signs (both domestic and international). "Pastoral care"? WTF does that even mean? They don't give a shit if you are struggling with mental health, serious family issues, health problems, etc.

But once you graduate you can be sure they'll ring roughly four times a year to suggest you make a donation to your "alma mater". At least until you tell them to **** off and stop calling.

20. Post
    It's not black and white - it sounds like they were working closely with the mental health team. The wording of the notice is poor, but I think the intent may have been entirely appropriate:

the student’s enrolment was terminated because of explicit advice from her own medical team that she was at high risk if she continued to study in New Zealand. Our decision followed meetings and discussions with the student’s medical team and her family as part of the extensive pastoral care that has been provided to her over the past four years.

It is very rare for the University to terminate a student’s enrolment and this is only ever contemplated in exceptional circumstances such as these.
    https://www.auckland.ac.nz/en/news/n...-terminat.html

21. Post
    Seems to match the original article. Original article claimed it was a doctor at the crisis team who suggested it. I wouldn't say he is acting in her best interests, though, and she deserved a second opinion from an independent clinic before the university made its final decision.

22. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    BPD would've surely always been there, no?
    Not necessarily. Environmental factors can cause it

23. Post
    The way the UoA is handling this situation is pretty bad. I hope this case actually puts the spotlight on how they handle mental health and starts an inquiry.

24. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Not necessarily. Environmental factors can cause it
    Yes, typically a shitty childhood.

25. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Oh yeah, sorry I meant that she was a student at Auckland Uni.

I also want to state, I assuming she will just come back to China, that the mental health care in China is probably of a lower standard that she would receive in NZ and that the mental health care in China is still developing and probably less equipped to deal with such a bad situation.

I think Auckland Uni was too harsh and should've given more thought to the external factors and reprecussions.