1. Post

Reminder Windows 7 Support Ends Today

Microsoft made a commitment to provide 10 years of product support for Windows 7 when it was released on October 22, 2009. When this 10-year period ends, Microsoft will discontinue Windows 7 support so that we can focus our investment on supporting newer technologies and great new experiences. The specific end of support day for Windows 7 will be January 14, 2020. After that, technical assistance and software updates from Windows Update that help protect your PC will no longer be available for the product. Microsoft strongly recommends that you move to Windows 10 sometime before January 2020 to avoid a situation where you need service or support that is no longer available.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/...anuary-14-2020

According to Steam statistics, ~33% of Steam users are still using Windows 7.

2. Post
    Eh. I wanted to keep using Win 7 but had no choice but to upgrade because of Direct X.

3. Post
    I feel old.

4. Post
    Rip

5. Post
    Meh, anyone that's still using it is unlikely to give a shit about MS support

6. Post
    Still got critical apps running in Windows 7 at work. Figured they'd have determined a way to get them working in W10 by now.

7. Post
    Is it a big deal?
    I got asked by MiL on weekend about it, shes on 7 and the reminder is popping up. She hardly ever uses the computer and i'm not 100% sure Windows 7 is still a free upgrade to Windows 10? Easiest option will be to USB windows install it and hope it keeps all the settings. As that will be a ballache to redo.

8. Post
    Posting from Windows 7

9. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Is it a big deal?
    no not really. the sky will not fall on you if you're still using it past January. Keep your browser updated and any AV up-to-date.

i'm not 100% sure Windows 7 is still a free upgrade to Windows 10?.
    Pretty sure you can still use your Win7 key to install Win10 and effectively get the free upgrade. Whether Win10 works on the current hardware or not is a different story.

10. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/...anuary-14-2020

According to Steam statistics, ~33% of Steam users are still using Windows 7.
    This is true. I have been using Windows 10 for a long time, which pleases me. But I would love to use Linux if games worked there

11. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Is it a big deal?
    I got asked by MiL on weekend about it, shes on 7 and the reminder is popping up. She hardly ever uses the computer and i'm not 100% sure Windows 7 is still a free upgrade to Windows 10? Easiest option will be to USB windows install it and hope it keeps all the settings. As that will be a ballache to redo.
    I'd upgrade her to an iPad like I did my mum. She couldn't be happier.

12. Post
    That's not an upgrade.

13. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    That's not an upgrade.
    I believe any technology that make life an easier experience is an upgrade.

14. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    That's not an upgrade.
    KiwiTT wrote:
    I believe any technology that make life an easier experience is an upgrade.
    Did the same with my 70 year old Mum, and it's been great - Apple's "walled garden" is great if you're not tech-savvy. It's made her more confident with technology in general; she was too shit scared to do anything with her PC, worried about breaking stuff.

So yeah, definitely an upgrade for her, but it's all relative I suppose.

15. Post
    Different strokes I guess. I built her the system 5+ years ago. It's used for email and printing off quilting patterns. I know people of retirement age that can't even use a cell phone and people well into their 70's that use a PC on a daily basis. I just don't see using a different device that does the same thing as an "upgrade". Obviously if someone isn't capable with technology, a locked down device will suit them better. Even then it's just a different flavour, and not a more capable device.

I'll probably end up backing up her files (just in case) and upgrading to windows 10 FWIW. Wasn't sure that option was still available at the time.

16. Post
    "and not a more capable device." --- potentially capable