Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 26

  1. Post
    #1

    To our children who want to save the planet.

    After our daughter of fifteen years of age was moved to tears by the speech of Greta Thunberg at the UN the other day, she became angry with our generation “who had been doing nothing for thirty years.”

    So, we decided to help her prevent what the girl on TV announced of “massive eradication and the disappearance of entire ecosystems.”

    We are now committed to give our daughter a future again, by doing our part to help cool the planet four degrees.

    From now on she will go to school on a bicycle, because driving her by car costs fuel, and fuel puts emissions into the atmosphere.

    Of course it will be winter soon and then she will want to go by bus, but only as long as it is a diesel bus.

    Somehow, that does not seem to be conducive to ‘helping the Climate’.

    Of course, she is now asking for an electric bicycle, but we have shown her the devastation caused to the areas of the planet as a result of mining for the extraction of Lithium and other minerals used to make batteries for electric bicycles, so she will be pedalling, or walking.

    Which will not harm her, or the planet. We used to cycle and walk to school too.

    Since the girl on TV demanded “we need to get rid of our dependency on fossil fuels” and our daughter agreed with her, we have disconnected the heat vent in her room.

    The temperature is now dropping to twelve degrees in the evening, and will drop below freezing in the winter, we have promised to buy her an extra sweater, hat, tights, gloves, and a blanket.

    For the same reason, we have decided that from now on she only takes a cold shower. She will wash her clothes by hand, with a wooden washboard, because the washing machine is simply a power consumer and since the dryer uses natural gas, she will hang her clothes on the clothesline to dry.

    Speaking of clothes, the ones that she currently has are all synthetic, so made from petroleum. Therefore on Monday, we will bring all her designer clothing to the secondhand shop.

    We have found an eco store where the only clothing they sell is made from undyed and unbleached linen, wool and jute.
    It shouldn’t matter that it looks good on her, or that she is going to be laughed at, dressing in colorless, bland clothes and without a wireless bra, but that is the price she has to pay for the benefit of The Climate.

    Cotton is out of the question, as it comes from distant lands and pesticides are used for it. Very bad for the environment.

    We just saw on her Instagram that she’s pretty angry with us. This was not our intention.

    From now on, at 7 p.m. we will turn off the WiFi and we will only switch it on again the next day after dinner for two hours.

    In this way we will save on electricity, so she is not bothered by electro-stress and will be totally isolated from the outside world.

    This way, she can concentrate solely on her homework. At eleven o’clock in the evening, we will pull the breaker to shut the power off to her room, so she knows that dark is really dark. That will save a lot of CO2.

    She will no longer be participating in winter sports to ski lodges and resorts, nor will she be going on any more vacations with us, because our vacation destinations are practically inaccessible by bicycle.

    Since our daughter fully agrees with the girl on TV that the CO2 emissions and footprints of her great-grandparents are to blame for ‘killing our planet’, what all this simply means, is that she also has to live like her great-grandparents and they never had a holiday, a car or even a bicycle.

    We haven’t talked about the carbon footprint of food yet.

    Zero CO2 footprint means no meat, no fish and no poultry, but also no meat substitutes that are based on soy, after all, that grows in farmers fields, that use machinery to harvest the beans, trucks to transport to the processing plants, where more energy is used, then trucked to the packaging/canning plants, and trucked once again to the stores and also no imported food, because that has a negative ecological effect.

    And absolutely no chocolate from Africa, no coffee from South America and no tea from Asia.

    Only homegrown potatoes, vegetables, and fruit that have been grown in local cold soil, because greenhouses run on boilers, piped in CO2 and artificial light.

    Apparently, these things are also bad for The Climate. We will teach her how to grow her own food.

    Bread is still possible, but butter, milk, cheese and yogurt, cottage cheese and cream come from cows and they emit CO2.

    No more margarine and no oils will be used for the frying pan because that fat is palm oil from plantations in Borneo where rain forests first grew.

    No ice cream in the summer. No soft drinks and no energy drinks, as the bubbles are CO2. She wanted to lose some pounds, well, this will help her achieve that goal too.

    We will also ban all plastic because it comes from chemical factories. Everything made of steel and aluminium must also be removed.

    Have you ever seen the amount of energy a blast furnace consumes or an aluminium smelter? Uber bad for the climate!

    We will replace her 9600 coil, memory foam pillow top mattress, with a jute bag filled with straw, with a horsehair pillow.

    And finally, she will no longer be using makeup, soap, shampoo, cream, lotion, conditioner, toothpaste and medication.

    Her sanitary napkins will be replaced with pads made of linen, that she can wash by hand, with her wooden washboard, just like her female ancestors did before climate change made her angry at us for destroying her future.

    In this way we will help her to do her part to prevent mass extinction, water levels rising and the disappearance of entire ecosystems.

    If she truly believes she wants to walk the talk of the girl on TV, she will gladly accept and happily embrace her new way of life.

    (Don't know where it came from, was posted on another forum)

  2. Post
    #2
    It came from Reddit last year.

  3. Post
    #3
    What is this drivel?

  4. Post
    #4
    Name:  1MHP.gif
Views: 203
Size:  205.3 KB

  5. Post
    #5
    it's just a shit form of argument/baiting

  6. Post
    #6
    Yeah. Definitely an argument that's not worth having any more. Especially if it starts with something like that.

  7. Post
    #7
    I remember when old people would send this type of shit via chain mail in the post.

  8. Post
    #8
    Why doesn't Greta just Skype into meetings?

  9. Post
    #9
    It's tricky because on one hand people without life experience can be naive, but on the other there's a lot of people kidding themselves that through some fluke they were born into an era of complete and perfect knowledge and everything they know and do definitely isn't hurting anything.

  10. Post
    #10
    Mutton wrote:
    I remember when old people would send this type of shit via chain mail in the post.
    Yea. ****ers send it to me in whatsapp now...

  11. Post
    #11
    Imagine posting this unironically.

  12. Post
    #12
    To some extent it's true. Most of our comforts exist only because we found and burned this huge resource of ancient sunlight, and most of these luxuries are completely unsustainable when being provided for millions or billions of people. Can anyone really argue otherwise?

    This is why the science calls for unprecedented change. It really does mean we need to rethink almost everything from the ground up. Pretty difficult to just bandaid a hydrocarbon economy. But we are addicted to these luxuries, so it's going to be hard to give them up. Easier to just not think about it. Amirite?

  13. Post
    #13
    Pretty much agree. You can understand the developing economies’ point when this is raised too. Developed economies benefitted hugely, and now want curbs.

    Personally I’m banking on more technological solutions than societal (though hopefully both).

  14. Post
    #14
    yup, it is hilarious a child from a develop country could think that billions of less fortunate souls on this planet would gives 2 shits on what she feels. Most struggle to put food on the table and do not have the luxury to take a year or 2 off school to swan around the planet demanding how they should curb their living standards.

  15. Post
    #15
    Just representing the old farts here, I did bike to school 5km each way (measured it google), sun or rain.

  16. Post
    #16
    what's depressing is that at this stage even the bears are starting to get bummed out


    with all the old fish trying to swim upstream

  17. Post
    #17
    AgrAde wrote:
    What is this drivel?
    You answered your own question, it's drivel

    Specifically, the kind of drivel which is born when "back in my day" and climate change denialism love each other very much.

  18. Post
    #18
    We won't give up our easy life and luxuries and it's going to be business as usual until the end. This is why climate change will not be solved and will ultimately destroy the current society

  19. Post
    #19
    remember when people used to get in shit for treating CEPP like OD lol

  20. Post
    #20
    CODChimera wrote:
    We won't give up our easy life and luxuries and it's going to be business as usual until the end. This is why climate change will not be solved and will ultimately destroy the current society
    If everyone gave up there easy lives and luxuries in NZ overnight, it would make zero difference.

  21. Post
    #21
    Yep. We need to all go back living off the land on a subsistence lifestyle ... not going to happen anytime soon.

  22. Post
    #22
    He quite clearly means western society...

  23. Post
    #23
    And I meant the entire world ... "all" ... and realistically even that will only slow down the arrival of the coming chaos. There is already so much momentum in the climate change.

  24. Post
    #24
    Bloody wrote:
    yup, it is hilarious a child from a develop country could think that billions of less fortunate souls on this planet would gives 2 shits on what she feels. Most struggle to put food on the table and do not have the luxury to take a year or 2 off school to swan around the planet demanding how they should curb their living standards.
    I don't understand your point here? You don't think that those already struggling to put food on the table wouldn't care about climate change if they understood it? It's just going to make their lives even more miserable, and probably hit them first. And where is she demanding that they should curb their living standards? She's never said that in any of the speeches I've heard. I somehow doubt she is telling those impoverished people that they should cut their already tiny carbon footprints.

    Stop jumping on the right-wing "hating Greta" bandwagon.

  25. Post
    #25
    devendra.raju wrote:
    We should take part to save our planet.
    LOL ... the planet will rebuild itself after we are gone (to Mars if we have Elon Musk's way).