Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

In the market for a new car, recommendations requested.

In the next 3-4 months I'll be looking for a new(used) car.
    Budget will probably be $10-15k, still working that out.
    1st new car in 11 years, so not really sure what to look for/avoid.
    Daily drive is 20km each way to/from work. 60% of my drive is open motorway (just outside Hamilton)
    Currently drive a BH5 Legacy Wagon, and spend $60-80 a week in petrol, would like something similar, or cheaper.
    Being 6'2" and on the heavier side, needs to be able to fit my larger frame, also often take trips with family/friend's, so would like it to seat 4 larger adults comfortably.

Looking for something that's got some get up and go potential.

Have looked at the Legacy 3.0r and could be interested in one, but want to see if there are other options out there. Don't wanna just stick to Subaru because that's all I've owned/driven
    Have always wanted a Ford V8, but not sure how uneconomical they would be.
    House mate drives a Swift, what are the Sport/RS models like?
    Any other options to look for?

2. Post
    Tonnes of options in that sort of price bracket - jump on Trademe and find things you like the look of.

Swift Sport is fun to drive but noisy and uncomfortable - you won't be getting four adults in one. RS is just an appearance package on the basic Swift and no fun at all. Dunno about Ford V8s but I've been less than impressed with Falcons in general.

3. Post
    I've got a Fuga V8 (450GT). They're a buyers car right now being they're so popular. Factory says 1800kg and 250kw with some torques to match. Full leather interior, heated and cooled front seats, quite a comfortable drive and enough power to pass with confidence. You can convert the all-japanese infotainment system for around $600 if you're so inclined. I haven't bothered. Economy isn't too horrible, especially around Hamilton.

4. Post
    Could grab a 2GR Blade Master, 3.5L lots of horses, radar cruise control. Fit four adults no worries, not 100% sure on 6'2 driver, i'm 6 and haven't hit the roof. I don't have the 3.5L, have the 2.4L so less powerful engine and CVT compared to the normal auto that comes with the 3.5L. I find it great to drive, has zero issues overtaking when fully loaded, comfy, good safety rating. I can only imagine the 3.5L is on another level. Fuel economy shouldn't be bad when driving it nicely. Nice interior, good sound deadening, handle alright when pushed, but ain't no race car suspension.

5. Post
    Im pretty happy with my '09 lexus gs460. Similar sort of car to the Fuga 450GT I guess, maybe a few more bells and whistles? Fuel economy isnt much worse than my old 3.0r unless youre in rush hour traffic/stop start and then it becomes dogshit.

6. Post
    I wouldn't buy a falcon nowdays, unless you specifically wanted one, XR8's are overpriced, turbo variants are good bang for buck but they don't have many features. any of the 5.0 S/C V8 models are way more than you've got to spend.

The fuga and the lexus gs460 are pretty nice, I prefer the Lexus interior myself. The last fuga i was in hadn't been converted to English which annoys me personally.

7. Post
    Swift Sports have a laughably small boot, if that matters. Fun to drive though.

Blade masters have one of the most lethargic autos I have ever driven. Its just a normal corolla with a big engine, dont expect it to be fun or sporty.

8. Post
    Newer Legacy turbo wagon is a no brainer to me.

Something like this:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...272b7206a7-002

If you could find a DIT model you would be on to a winner.

9. Post
    GorGasm wrote:
    Newer Legacy turbo wagon is a no brainer to me.

Something like this:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...272b7206a7-002

If you could find a DIT model you would be on to a winner.
    This

10. Post
    Like this one?

I do love having a wagon, so the Legacy GT is right up my alley.

Dont know if i could go to something as small as the Blade Master G, but a 3.5l V6 in a car that size, seems like it'd be a bit of a rocket.

Fuga and Lexus both look like nice Sedan options too. Will have to get out for some test drives, see how i feel about them.

11. Post
    What ever you do stay away from CVT transmissions.

12. Post
    Markuchi wrote:
    Agree. That is what finally put me off buying a Mitsubishi Lancer and got a car with the ZF transmission.

I wouldn't touch a Swift --- 4 adults died in one near New Plymouth after a collision with 1990ish station wagon in which the driver survived.

13. Post
    Markuchi wrote:
    Why? My wife's outlander has one and it's amazing tbh

14. Post
    Markuchi wrote:
    Let me guess, you read on the Internet they're all horrible and kill penguins each time you drive them?

Get the right/later model cvt and they're all good. I wouldn't go back to a slushbox with gears for daily duty now.

- - - Updated - - -

KiwiTT wrote:
    Agree. That is what finally put me off buying a Mitsubishi Lancer and got a car with the ZF transmission.

I wouldn't touch a Swift --- 4 adults died in one near New Plymouth after a collision with 1990ish station wagon in which the driver survived.
    This is also one of the dumbest things you have posted.... I don't even know where to start.

15. Post
    I found the Swift Sport owning experience decidedly average in all ways.

It was averagely economical, went averagely quick, got around corners in an above average manner. Mine was a 5 speed so was revving balls off horribly at 100k. Perhaps 6sp versions sorted that.

But I sold mine quickly, and wouldn't buy another one. It's a good backroad burner, but that's about it. Not enough grunt to be actually fast, and too big to be actually nimble.

16. Post
    Triple_S wrote:
    Let me guess, you read on the Internet they're all horrible and kill penguins each time you drive them?

Get the right/later model cvt and they're all good. I wouldn't go back to a slushbox with gears for daily duty now.

- - - Updated - - -

This is also one of the dumbest things you have posted.... I don't even know where to start.
    This cvt feels so smooth compared to normal boxes. Can immediately notice the difference driving my accord vs the outlander.

17. Post
    I don't like the noise the engine makes as you put your foot down on the gas.
    That droney constant rev sound as it winds up the box.

18. Post
    Yeah CVT is super smooth, quieter than a normal auto due to making the most of lower rpm and not needing to rev out before changing gear. Guess it depends on the car, if you're annoyed by the engine drone, perhaps the car has poor sound deadening. Ours has done 170k now and still smooth as.

19. Post
    Modern CVTs are excellent if you don't care about doing hoonies.

20. Post
    Lexus IS 250 or a Nissan 250GT. Decent power while still somewhat economical, and feel fairly modern while being a good price. Both solid cars, and plenty of them around for parts.

21. Post
    Probably need the IS350 for decent power, the 250 is a bit weak isnt it

22. Post
    almost no reason to not go for that (or similar) subaru wagon. they are great cars, safe and reliable.
    you could easily go for some kind of european car also for that price but expect to pay a lot more to maintain it as it will probably be a few years older and a bit more used.
    the new shape accord wagons are pretty nice
    something like:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/2528296075

23. Post
    Actually, maybe give the DIT a miss as it uses a CVT. Up to you. The older model DIT used a normal auto from memory.

A 2.5 GT wagon would be just dandy. Brisk performance, reasonable handling, practical and relatively reliable.

24. Post
    Just poking my nose in here as some of this topic is relevant to me also ...

what exactly is considered "economical" for fuel economy these days? AA says 8-12 L/100Kmi s conisdered OK and below 8 is very good.

thanks

25. Post
    Just poking my nose in here as some of this topic is relevant to me also ...

what exactly is considered "economical" for fuel economy these days? AA says 8-12 L/100Kmi s conisdered OK and below 8 is very good.

thanks