Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    AA says a lot of things, i'd probably trust about 0% of what they say.

What is good fuel economy will depend on the type of vehicle. Our Blade would be sub 8L/100km, and isn't anything fancy. I net 10L/100km diesel in my fully loaded up work van. So if you want to talk fuel economy, compare similar cars and go from there.

2. Post
    Depends on the usage. In a Mazda 3 I get about 8l/100km in traffic down to high 5s under good conditions

3. Post
    Hawkz25 wrote:
    Just poking my nose in here as some of this topic is relevant to me also ...

what exactly is considered "economical" for fuel economy these days? AA says 8-12 L/100Kmi s conisdered OK and below 8 is very good.

thanks
    How long is a piece of string?

5.0l/100km I considered absolutely bloody terrible in my Prius, and made me check for a puncture (low tyre pressure).

10l/100km would be entirely normal in every Subaru I've ever owned.

So there's a 100% difference between one 1800cc car and a 2000cc car.

4. Post
    Also the main factor affecting fuel economy is how the car's driven.

5. Post
    Unless you have a Starlet or a Vitz.

They seem to use the exact same amount of petrol if you cruise, or if you thrash crap out of them.

Source: have owned both, currently own a Vitz.

6. Post
    The Fuga is suprisingly good on long trips. Not so hot around town doing sick launches at every green light.

7. Post
    Over 89,000km of my daily driving, my 1.5L Fit RS with CVT averages 7.1L/100km. It will do down to 5.2L/100km on the open road.

I don't even measure the economy of the other two cars. One is a 2.8L V6 Turbo and the other an 80s 2.8L V6 with mechanical injection, both would be laughable.

8. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    The Fuga is suprisingly good on long trips. Not so hot around town doing sick launches at every green light.
    Test drove 2 Fuga 450GT's tonight after work, first impressions :

Cabin has a **** tonne of space, more so than my current Wagon it felt like.
    With drivers and passengers seat both back almost as far as they go, i could sit either side in the back, and still had space to spare.
    Boot is massive, much larger than anticipated.
    Power is impressive, easily abused, and has no problem putting it down to the ground.
    Leather interior doesn't take my fancy, but it was very comfortable. Would be concerned about carting my overzealous dog around, and general work required to maintain it to a decent degree.
    Center console has a lot going on, and almost none of it is in English.

1st was an '05 with a fairly worn interior, seats were showing wear, dash had cracks all through it, a few minor bumps and dings on the body work, nice, but not flashy rims, and a Wood-look Interior Trim that didn't feel like it suited. Was the cheaper of the 2, and had lower miles on it (95k, whats the story with chain driven compared to belt for 100k servicing?) $11k

2nd was much tidier inside and out. interior well looked after, and a black trim, flashier rims and lower profile tires. 117k on the clock $14k

Sat in a Blade Master G also, but didn't get to test drive.
    Initial thoughts about it's size felt spot on, just a little on the small side for me. Sat far higher in it and the roof line obscured far more vision than i felt comfortable with, could just need to swap out the seat for something a little more compact.

Going to have a good look around some yards over the weekend, will see if i can actually get a Blade Master out for a drive as well as a Lexus GS460, and a couple Legacy wagons if i can find them.

9. Post
    Not sure if you considered electric? 40 km per day (within range of an older 2011 leaf), 5 days a week will require approx 35 kwh of power per wek... at 30c per kwh it is around $10 per week to fuel up...

Torque wise, it ain't too bad... it is pretty roomy as well... the only downside is that long distance travel (i.e. 100+ kms) will be troublesome... but you can definitely get one in the lower end of your budget..

10. Post
    My last two tanks in the March were 6.7 and 6.2 l/100km, both included a grasskhana.

11. Post
    Some more anecdotal fuel consumption info:
    My 2006 Legacy 3.0R gets averages 9.5L/100KM for out of town driving, and between 10 and 14 around town depending on how fast I wanna get somewhere.

12. Post
    My last every single tank I've done in the Vitz in 5000km or so.

15-16km/l. Including a trackday

13. Post
    I was in a similar position maybe 6 months ago. Similar stature to you and went from a 94 Nissan diesel to a 2010 Subaru. It was like night and day.

I spent a lot of time researching the pros and cons of alternatives to the mistral, and it boiled down to Mitsi Outlander vs Subaru Legacy/Outback.

I looked at a 3.0R but behind the wheel I felt a little too constricted/strapped in, and the options for aftermarket audio weren't what I wanted. I ended up with a 5th gen outback (2.5) instead, it had a little more room than a 4th gen and it just felt more comfortable.

My daily commute is 11km each way max, and I get usually around 9-10L/km but that's city driving with lots of waiting at lights. Open road I get 6-8.

14. Post
    Don't even bother with a Blade Master, you might as well get a Camry.

Also, if shopping Fuga's you must also shop Mark X 350S. Can't find many in Auckland at the moment though.

15. Post
    Couple more test drives today.

Blade Master G - $12k
    Hell of a lot of fun to drive, but interior layout just feels clunky. Could see myself getting fatigued driving it long distance.
    Gear shifter and parking brake both just in awkward positions.

Lexus 350GS - $12k (on the yard @ $14k)
    Extremely smooth to drive, glides around corners, and accelerates flawlessly.
    Didn't get to test it as hard as i would have like, as they rode along with me. The only yard to do so so far.
    All around, similar to the Fuga's that i test drove, but smaller in the rear to the point i couldn't really sit in the back seats. However it was more comfortable, and a nicer ride in genreal.
    Looked at several of the 450/430 but they were mostly out of price range. And the majority were white/cream interior which i'm just not into.

Fuga 350GT - $12k
    Basically identical to the 450GT, just with a smaller engine. Probably not a bad thing, feel like a 3.5L is gonna be more than enough for my driving style. This one had the tidiest interior of the 3 Fuga's i drove, and also the highest K's (131k)
    This particular car also had a slight vibration through the steering wheel, possibly just an alignment issue, or from sitting on the yard a long time?

Still havent been able to fine a Legacy GT to test drive.

So far I can see my self in either the Lexus 350, or the Fuga (either 350/450), probably leaning more towards the Lexus, just purely on comfort and look of the particular car i drove. Got a couple months to really nail it down though.

GorGasm wrote:
    Don't even bother with a Blade Master, you might as well get a Camry.

Also, if shopping Fuga's you must also shop Mark X 350S. Can't find many in Auckland at the moment though.
    Was looking at these as well, i take it they are the step down from Lexus, but step up from a Camry?

16. Post
    They're a step up from a camry for sure. Not so roomy though. You could also try a Toyota Aurion. They're not too bad, kind of in the same class as the Mark X but a tugger, so there's no driveline tunnel taking up space in the rear cabin.

17. Post
    DeazeNZ wrote:
    Couple more test drives today.

Blade Master G - $12k
    Hell of a lot of fun to drive, but interior layout just feels clunky. Could see myself getting fatigued driving it long distance.
    Gear shifter and parking brake both just in awkward positions.

Lexus 350GS - $12k (on the yard @ $14k)
    Extremely smooth to drive, glides around corners, and accelerates flawlessly.
    Didn't get to test it as hard as i would have like, as they rode along with me. The only yard to do so so far.
    All around, similar to the Fuga's that i test drove, but smaller in the rear to the point i couldn't really sit in the back seats. However it was more comfortable, and a nicer ride in genreal.
    Looked at several of the 450/430 but they were mostly out of price range. And the majority were white/cream interior which i'm just not into.

Fuga 350GT - $12k
    Basically identical to the 450GT, just with a smaller engine. Probably not a bad thing, feel like a 3.5L is gonna be more than enough for my driving style. This one had the tidiest interior of the 3 Fuga's i drove, and also the highest K's (131k)
    This particular car also had a slight vibration through the steering wheel, possibly just an alignment issue, or from sitting on the yard a long time?

Still havent been able to fine a Legacy GT to test drive.

So far I can see my self in either the Lexus 350, or the Fuga (either 350/450), probably leaning more towards the Lexus, just purely on comfort and look of the particular car i drove. Got a couple months to really nail it down though.

Was looking at these as well, i take it they are the step down from Lexus, but step up from a Camry?
    Weird, my gs460 was 13k, with 85000kms abotu 6 months ago. White with black leather interior.

18. Post
    Have you looked at the 2.4L Accords?
    Can get NZ spec for not too much more https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...746e6eabc9-008
    Jap import ones are around your budget.