1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Ugh. I really did not like the last one they did.

3. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Ugh. I really did not like the last one they did.
    I didn't play 2012's Most Wanted, but 2010's Hot Pursuit was my favorite NFS game of the last decade. Think it's good to see them have another chance.

4. Post
    I often ponder why EA continues to bankroll Need for Speed as a series. In the last decade, we've had 6 mainline Need for Speed titles. Not a single one of these titles was great, although 2 were pretty good (Being Hot Pursuit and Rivals). That's a pretty horrendous strike rate.

If Criterion could come back and produce another title like Hot Pursuit '10, I think that would be nice. I mean, I don't expect another Most Wanted '05, EA's general incompetence will ensure that will never happen, but something worth playing would be a great start. It's been a tough 7 or so years since Rivals...

5. Post
    I often ponder why EA continues to bankroll Need for Speed as a series. In the last decade, we've had 6 mainline Need for Speed titles. Not a single one of these titles was great, although 2 were pretty good (Being Hot Pursuit and Rivals). That's a pretty horrendous strike rate.
    I mean, there's no competition anymore, they've got a captive market. The only arcade racers left have karts. Burnout is gone, Ridge Racer is gone, Wipeout is gone, Motorstorm series is gone, Blur and Split/Second never got a sequel.

It's astonishing how many players left the market for what should be a fairly big genre.

6. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    I mean, there's no competition anymore, they've got a captive market. The only arcade racers left have karts. Burnout is gone, Ridge Racer is gone, Wipeout is gone, Motorstorm series is gone, Blur and Split/Second never got a sequel.

It's astonishing how many players left the market for what should be a fairly big genre.
    Split/Second was my fave racing game of last gen

7. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Definitely among mine. The fact that it didn't get a sequel is positively mind boggling. It was utterly fantastic.

8. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    I really miss Ridge Racer and Wipeout. What they did to Ridge Racer in particular was criminal. Monetise the crap out of it, then when that didn't work, hand it to a developer who doesn't give a shit about the series (Wreckfest devs, screw those guys, will never buy anything from them) and then turn around and cancel the series when it inevitably goes wrong.

Same kinda deal happened to Wipeout, kick the original devs to the curb and then turn around and use their work on the remake.

Makes you wonder if the real reason why Arcade racing games aren't made anymore isn't due to lack of demand but the shit way the publishers treat the direction of the series and the dev studios that make them.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 14th February 2020 at 2:22 pm.

9. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:

There's still Forza Horizon, but you're right. They mostly have this niche in the market on lock.

Codemasters tried to release a Motorstorm-esque arcade racer a few years back, Onrush, but it flopped hard. They cancelled the planned PC port.

10. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    There's still Forza Horizon, but you're right. They mostly have this niche in the market on lock.

Codemasters tried to release a Motorstorm-esque arcade racer a few years back, Onrush, but it flopped hard. They cancelled the planned PC port.
    Forza Horizon is still pretty simcade compared to Ridge Racer though, just doesn't quite scratch the right itch.

The demand is there I reckon but it just needs someone to make something polished. On that note, is seems that Formula Fusion/Pacer seems promising, though it's had a rocky start.