Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Need legal advice about filth wizard property manager

So I just moved into an apartment in town and on my first night discovered an adult kitchen-type (not the outdoor one) cockroach in my room. I squished it immediately and contacted the property manager of Waikato Real Estate. The reply was basically just "buy some insect spray". Second day I bought cockroach traps and caught another adult roach. I messaged her again with photo proof, along with a photo of roach poop that I had to clean out of the drawers. Then I sent another message along the lines of "it can't be legal to leave it up to the tenants to deal with pests". She hasn't replied yet. My room is on the second floor, I just moved in and don't have any food exposed, so if I have them in my room there is no way there isn't an infestation somewhere. What's my next step? What if she refuses to do something? I don't think it's fair that I have to move out, I deserve basic hygienic living conditions on the rent I'm paying.

2. Post
    Update: oh my god the roach I caught must have come unstuck while I was at work because it's gone now

3. Post
    I'm not sure what to say. It's roach season.

If its an apartment is there a body corporate that deals with pest control?

4. Post
    TT should help you out. You have rights and you should flex them.

https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/maintena...-infestations/

5. Post
    I don't know but I asked for proof of pest control in the building and she might be ignoring me now.

6. Post
    I looked up the property manager's profile and it says that she's studying law. I'm kind of afraid that she will retaliate if I complain too much.

7. Post
    Be assertive but polite. Keep everything in writing and don't delete any emails. Call the tenancy tribunal for some advice. Or even try the CAB. You're considering moving out as an option, I don't see how retaliation could get worse than that.

8. Post
    lol

9. Post
    For every one you see there are 300 you don't. Mainly nocturnal too. Sleep tight...

10. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    I looked up the property manager's profile and it says that she's studying law. I'm kind of afraid that she will retaliate if I complain too much.
    **** that, stick up for yourself. If she kicks you out, you may be better off anyway

Check your tenancy agreement, usually they say that tenants are responsible for keeping the place pest-free but this is clearly beyond your fault
    Last edited by w0lfbrains; 24th February 2020 at 9:50 pm.

11. Post
    I'm not considering moving out unless it's last resort. Workmates said I should just move out but I'd rather just have it sorted since I only just moved in.

12. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    **** that, stick up for yourself. If she kicks you out, you may be better off anyway
    Worst thing isn't just getting kicked out. Apparently, due to reviews online, the company tends to deduct money from people's bond without telling them. I actually only have to give them 48 hours notice to leave, but I don't have enough money right now to immediately move and pay another bond elsewhere.

13. Post
    That's not how bond works (unless you paid bogus bond) Your bond should be lodged with the tenancy tribunal, not in the landlords bank on stand-by. You should do some reading on that tenancy website. It doesn't appear you really know where you stand in this agreement.

14. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    For every one you see there are 300 you don't. Mainly nocturnal too. Sleep tight...
    **** you.

15. Post
    get some insect screens for windows

16. Post
    Never seen a cockroach before if that helps.

Is this a north island problem?

17. Post
    My Tenants had a problem with tropical cockroaches or something

I got it fumigated for them.

The pest control guy said it was probably cause of the fruit the tenants had too

This was about 15 years ago, in hindsight, they should have paid for it.

18. Post
    One or two cockroaches is not an infestation, for what it's worth

In Sydney they're pretty much a given, not really that much to do with cleanliness and more to do with seeking moisture

19. Post
    Well I had just moved into and had no open packets or fresh food lying around, so it couldn't have been my fault. I also had to clean roach poo out of the cupboards and stuff which was there already when I moved.

That's the problem right now I think, she says to tell her if there is an infestation but I don't have proof.

20. Post
    Sounds more like renters remorse than actual problem

21. Post
    She probably thinks asian and assumes you're weak to take advantage of you.

22. Post
    Clean, barrier spray (https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/morte...g-n/a/p/141834) doorways/windows/any other obvious entry points and hope for the best

23. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Sounds more like renters remorse than actual problem
    I just haven't been in this situation before. If it is actually my problem, then I'll leave. It's only 2 days notice and I'm out. I just find it hard to believe that it's only in my room.

24. Post
    Have you opened all cupboards, check around the appliances and take photos? The roach also seems like to hide near the dishwasher and the fridge. Best to move them around and check. Take photo if there is an infestation...

25. Post
    I cleaned the cupboards and drawers but only took one photo before I freaked out and cleaned everywhere. There's no dishwasher but I'm afraid to see what's behind fridge. Ive got sticky bait traps around the place so I'll check them every day.