Page 2 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

1. Post
    If a landlord isn't going to act on a pre-existing pest problem noticed immediately upon you moving in, it's a pretty big red flag that you're going to have issues with them down the track for any other problems with the flat that might arise tbh

2. Post
    Cockroaches in Auckland usually aren't anything to do with your property.

They're widespread in the environment now, in your garden, flying around at night, and attracted to light.

A few years ago there weren't any in where I live [North shore], then they started showing up in the letter box, then the house.

There's not much you can do, besides spraying them, and making sure there's no reason for them to stay.

I check the mail/papers to make sure there's no stowaways.

It's a consequence of global trade.

3. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Never seen a cockroach before if that helps.

Is this a north island problem?
    Same and i've lived in some real shit holes. Which is good because when i was a kid i watched that x-files episode where they crawl under peoples skin and that probably did some lasting damage to my mind.

4. Post
    I came home a couple of years ago to find a cockroach in my sink. No big deal, I was feeling generous so put it outside. Came home the next day and there were two of them in the sink. I was feeling a lot less generous. Opened the tap and I swear to god about 20 of them came pouring out of the plughole. It was like a scene from a horror film.

5. Post
    theradio wrote:
    I came home a couple of years ago to find a cockroach in my sink. No big deal, I was feeling generous so put it outside. Came home the next day and there were two of them in the sink. I was feeling a lot less generous. Opened the tap and I swear to god about 20 of them came pouring out of the plughole. It was like a scene from a horror film.
    ****!!!!!!!

6. Post
    I didn't see big angry ones until traveling to Samoa. They have the big ugly flying ones. They're quite hard to catch and kill, those filthy ****ers.

7. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Never seen a cockroach before if that helps.

Is this a north island problem?
    I'm in the South Island and have seen quite a few cockroaches. They're often in letterboxes anytime, or they seem to be common around autumn when it rains/gradually gets colder.

If you're in a colder part maybe they're more scarce.

8. Post
    You won't find many places in Hamilton or even the wider Waikato now that don't have issues with roaches now. My house was built in the last couple of months in an equally new subdivision and I have already killed a couple.

9. Post
    Speaking of pests, my garden is riddled with Harlequin Ladybirds. It seems they're definitely here to stay.

10. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    So I just moved into an apartment in town
    Is this the Zest building on Hobson St or Nelson St? They had a massive cockroach problem a couple of years ago (a friend was living there), individual tenants couldn't do anything as they would keep coming back from other apartments. Eventually got the whole place fumigated I believe, but wouldn't surprise me if they're back.

11. Post
    scholar wrote:
    Is this the Zest building on Hobson St or Nelson St? They had a massive cockroach problem a couple of years ago (a friend was living there), individual tenants couldn't do anything as they would keep coming back from other apartments. Eventually got the whole place fumigated I believe, but wouldn't surprise me if they're back.
    I think she's in Hamilton.

I had mates who lived in the Harvard apartments on Hobson Street and they were on the first level. They had a huuuuge cockroach issue, in all the pipes, in the cupboards, everywhere. This would be like 9 years ago now though.

12. Post
    theradio wrote:
    Creepshow, from the 80's.....

13. Post
    We get bush roaches, usually come in through the window. They don't last long, the heatpumps and dvs seem to dry them out or the spiders get em.

14. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    I didn't see big angry ones until traveling to Samoa. They have the big ugly flying ones. They're quite hard to catch and kill, those filthy ****ers.
    I honestly cant think of anything worse than a flying cockroach. Like when I heard they were common in Brazil, nope.

15. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    We get bush roaches, usually come in through the window. They don't last long, the heatpumps and dvs seem to dry them out or the spiders get em.
    We get them too, thanks to being close to Waikato River gully bush & scrub. I don't even kill them, just put them back outside.

16. Post
    When I lived in a small apartment in the tropics without AC, i'd sleep without any top cover and would occasionally get woken up by giant roaches crawling on me. They used to come up the drain pips in the bathroom.

Hope that helps.

17. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    TT should help you out. You have rights and you should flex them
    Be aware if you do go to the TT and win your case, you will still be considered undesirable by PMs, as you will be seen as a troublesome tenant regardless. And just like trash talking your past employers, doing the same with previous landlords is not a good thing to do.

18. Post
    Have the crickets started their annual invasion in Hamilton yet?
    We are starting to get a few at work at the moment, but I think there are more to come.

19. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Be aware if you do go to the TT and win your case, you will still be considered undesirable by PMs, as you will be seen as a troublesome tenant regardless. And just like trash talking your past employers, doing the same with previous landlords is not a good thing to do.
    This is something I'm afraid of, especially as a law student she might twist something against me. I have a clean record and the last place even thanked me for leaving the place so clean when I left.

20. Post
    Pandaemonaeon wrote:
    We are starting to get a few at work at the moment, but I think there are more to come.
    Crickets are everywhere but I'm less afraid of them. Walked past one of these apartment rooms and there were about 30 dead crickets outside their door. I've also found 2 in my shower.

21. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    I can see that happening, but not in all cases, and that certainly shouldn't dissuade you from exercising your rights politely and respectfully. It worked for me when I had to encourage the PM and landlord to stick to their obligations in regards to trimming hedges and fixing fences. Never had any blow back for being a troublesome tenant. Lucky me I guess.

22. Post
    I've eaten a cockroach before. Probably the worst thing I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot of awful shit.

It tastes exactly how you think it would taste, except worse.

23. Post
    i don't have any thoughts about what it would taste like, can u pls elaborate

24. Post
    Gesellschaft wrote:
    i don't have any thoughts about what it would taste like, can u pls elaborate
    Very salty, incredibly bitter, very... wet. It kinda popped once I got through the shell. D-, would not try again.

25. Post
    Pandaemonaeon wrote:
    Starting to get a few, and agree it'll get worse. Hoping it will be like the cicadas, which haven't seemed so bad this summer.