1. Post

Training a dog in lockdown

So we have a 5 month old Amstaff. He still has his nuts and probably will for a while due to vets not doing snip snip at the moment. I also have the benefit of having a lot of free time to make this dog better behaved than the other 3.

So any good tips or resources? He can come with a whistle, sit but that's about it. He loves trying to eat food off benches and jumping so that definitely needs sorting. I'd also like him to stay and hold.

I told my family one day I wouldn't mind an English Staffie but they got this guy he's got a good soul but he's going to be a monster size wise so I want him well behaved.

2. Post
    Ceasar is the dog god.

3. Post
    I have heard of him, never watched it. So his tips are universal?

4. Post
    He seems to be an alpha dog in a human's body.

5. Post
    His show was popular enough for South Park to parody him.

6. Post
    bradc wrote:
    So we have a 5 month old Amstaff. He still has his nuts and probably will for a while due to vets not doing snip snip at the moment. I also have the benefit of having a lot of free time to make this dog better behaved than the other 3.

So any good tips or resources? He can come with a whistle, sit but that's about it. He loves trying to eat food off benches and jumping so that definitely needs sorting. I'd also like him to stay and hold.

I told my family one day I wouldn't mind an English Staffie but they got this guy he's got a good soul but he's going to be a monster size wise so I want him well behaved.
    He needs to have a boss.

It's how dogs work.

Every time I see a badly behaved dog, I know who's in charge.

You can take that to the bank.

7. Post
    Ceasar is a total muppet and uses archaic training methods.

This guy is really good. He posts quite a bit on Facebook and answers questions
    https://www.thinkdog.nz/

Also Mark Vette
    http://www.markvette.com/

8. Post
    ^ Cartman agrees.

9. Post
    In the same boat. 5 month old labradoodle who can be an absolute handful.
    Crate and toilet trained her super early. Also had a dog door put in.
    She now loves her crate and will let herself out to go toilet.

Took her to obedience school but the teacher was quite old school - ie choker chain and verbal punishment.

She is getting better but sometimes takes steps backwards. I've been doing lead training in the park where I change direction if she pulls. Also using a choker type collar (not a chain but a fabric one that narrows if she tugs and using sideways corrections if she pulls).

I don't really care for any tricks so our main ones have been having her wait for us to step out of the house before she does. Having her wait to be allowed to eat. Having her wait before we play tug. Having her release the tug toy on command and resume only when given permission. Having us walk away if she gets jumpy.

The other stuff we're doing is using treats to ensure a good recall ie everytime she comes to us a reward is given, only during the training session. A sit command, but only if we have given her the command. Not if she just sits. At the moment I'm doing daily heel training. I lead her around the back of me and to the side. Have her nibble on the treat in the correct heel position for around 10 seconds. Then I'll walk and provide her with treats as long as she stays in the correct heel position.

10. Post
    Our 4 month old pup is coming along well now.

Still a work on for being on a lead and returning when off it. But he is a huntaway so that was always going to be a struggle.

He's now 21kgs so is a big dog already, he knows to wait for food, sits on command every time and he's now a proper guard dog barking at anyone who steps on the property. Has a good bark on him.

He's still learning his bite boundaries. The way we've always trained our dogs is through biting and where the limit is. Rough play is a must with a big dog, he knows now that while he's bigger then our other dog a bite still hurts even from a chorkie.

People use to freak out when we'd play at the park with our rottyxshepard as she would run full speed and tackle me and be growling all while gently biting my forearms.

11. Post
    ^ what dog ?

12. Post
    Kog wrote:
    ^ what dog ?
    Huntaway x collie.